My uncle Roald J. Smeets did wonderful brick work.
08/26/2012 § Leave a comment
My uncle Roald J. Smeets did wonderful brick work. Brickwork is masonry produced by a bricklayer, using bricks and mortar to build up brick structures such as walls. Brickwork is also used to finish corners, door, and window openings, etc. in buildings made of other materials. Where the bricks are to remain fully visible, as opposed to being covered up by plaster or stucco, this is known as face-work or facing brickwork.
Brick sizes are, in general, coordinated so that two rows of bricks laid alongside, with a mortar joint between them, are the same width as the length of a single brick laid across the two rows. That allows headers, bricks laid at 90 degrees to the direction of the wall, to be built in and tie together two or more layers, or wythes, of brick. The thickness of a brick wall is measured by the length of a brick, so a wall one brick thick contains two layers of brick, a wall one and a half bricks thick contains three layers, etc. A common metric coordinating size is 215 millimetres (8.5 in) x 102.5 millimetres (4.04 in) x 65 millimetres (2.6 in), which is intended to work with a 10 millimetres (0.39 in) mortar joint: 75 millimetres (3.0 in) course height, 215 millimetres (8.5 in) wall thickness etc. This is based on the earlier inch sizes. There are many different standard brick sizes worldwide, most with some coordinating principle.
- Should I buy a house that requires so much work? (telegraph.co.uk)
- Just another brick in the wall (telltaleclub.com)
- Brick by brick (rep-am.com)
- Architectural Technologist – Bent rise & fall gutter (konstrukshon.com)
- How to Build a Brick Oven for Pizza (answers.com)
- Some Brick Walls are Made of Flesh (conversationagent.com)
- Brick of the Week: Flemish Bond (architecturama.wordpress.com)
- White Brick Walls (lezoemusings.wordpress.com)
- Bring in Textur to a room (theinteriorspace.wordpress.com)
- Small PA for band practice (gearslutz.com)